Skip to main content

God Speaks

Those of you who know me really well know that I'm not what some might call a religious freak.  I am not part of a cult, nor do I hear strange voices in my head.  I'm not mentally unstable...hey, you stop laughing.  So, you might ask...Then, why do you believe God speaks to us? 

I believe because I have experienced His voice in my life even from early childhood.  So, I know this to be true.  He talks to me because I talk to Him.  God has an open invitation into my life.  I pray for His direction, His leadership, and I ask Him questions.  He answers.  Sometimes, I don't like the answer, but He does answer.  Job 37:5 says, "God’s voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding. "  Sometimes, He doesn't answer because there are just some things we cannot know in advance.  Just like with my kids.  I do not let them in on plans for the weekend too early in the week.  If you are a parent, you know exactly why.  I would be so tired of answering questions, questions, questions and more questions.  There would be great temptation to "call the whole thing off!"

Some of you may say, He only spoke to people in bible times.  He doesn't really do that anymore.  I refer you to Hebrews 3:12-15:
"See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called 'Today,' so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end. As has just been said: 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Like earthly fathers speak to their children, God does speak to His children.  Many times we may not recognize His voice.  We either shrug it off entirely, question it and then ignore it, or we give the credit to someone or something else.  However, most often, we just take the credit ourselves....I am sooo smart, Listen to MY idea, I can't believe I came up with this all by myself.  Brilliant.  I'm reminded of a church sign I saw the other day:  "God without man is still God.  Man without God is nothing."

So, has God ever spoken to you?

~Have you ever felt strongly to do something nice for someone?  The feeling was so overwhelming that you thought you might actually die before you could accomplish the task.

~Have you ever asked a question in your mind and before you could even finish the thought completely, the answer hit your brain like a mac truck?  Usually, it is an answer or idea you had not even considered.

~Have you ever found yourself in the middle of delimma not sure which way to go and someone you may or may not know says what seems to be a random thought that actually applies to you and the very crisis you are bogged down in?  Often, you will find that you've zoned out for a moment because you are so "struck" by what the unwitting messenger just told you.

Psalm 34:8 encourages us to "taste and see that the Lord is good."  In other words, try it!  I dare you.  Now, if you are really going to take this challenge, do so with respect and with no intentions of "rigging the results."  God will not be mocked. (Galations 6:7)  However, if you find yourself in a situation you cannot handle, you've tried everything else to no avail, I want you to try this viable alternative.  What can you lose?  So, stop what you are doing, look toward Heaven and say, What do you think, God?  Then, get still and very quiet.  You WILL be amazed, I assure you. 

Still not convinced?  Start with something small like lost car keys or the decision of whether or not to take your umbrella with you to work.  Really??? Really.  Afterall, whose forcast is more reliable?  The Weather Channel or Your Heavenly Father? 

Again, what can you lose?  Nothing. 

What can you gain? I point you to Psalm 34:7 and continue through verse 9:  "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. Fear the LORD, you his holy people, for those who fear him lack nothing."

Psalm 29: 4  "The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is majestic."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Pleaser

Hello, my name is Brittni and I am a people pleaser.  They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Today, I realized this has been a huge stumbling block for me.  Many of the situations I have found myself in can be attributed to doing something I didn't really want to do because I thought someone else wanted me to or better yet, needed me to do.  I have compromised my own beliefs, taken responsibility for things that were not my fault, even made untrue assessments about myself all for the pleasing of someone else.  I called it being agreeable, keeping the peace.  Only, I didn't have peace.  How dumb is that? Joyce Meyer writes, "IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING…Motives… Why are we doing (or not doing) something? Are we being motivated by fear, personal gain or a sense of obligation? Are we being motivated by a desire to be in control, accepted or seen?  These are all the wrong reasons for doing something. Our motive for...

The Refiner's Fire

The past couple of months have been difficult. Nothing earth-shattering has happened, no tragedies. I have been looking in the mirror of my soul. I have seen some ugly things. These "things" always come up when I pray earnestly for a clean heart. I'm referring to heart matters such as envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, pride, idolatry, even. It's the ugliness I see when I say, "Father, that I might melt into you!" You see in order to become one with Christ, He has to clean us up. He has to bring those unsightly things to the surface that we try to bury inside (all the while praying no one else sees them) in order for us to deal with them. This is The Refiner's Fire. The fire that burns out the dross to bring forth gold. That same fire referenced in Malachi 3:2 which states, "...He will be like a refiner's fire or the launderer's soap." John the Baptist foretells of Jesus' coming with "His winnowing fan...

Glasses

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about past, current, and even future relationships.  I've discovered ways in which past relationships have had an effect on current relationships and will quite possibly taint future relationships if corrections and adjustments are not made.  We are all aware past hurts, trials, struggles make us who we are, but we need to realize the impact those things have on our vision, the way we see people.  As my favorite Golden Girl would say, "picture it."  It is morning and you are super excited to be alive!  You get dressed and your morning routine could not be smoother or more efficient.  Your morning devotional was power-packed and you felt you actually touched the Throne of God in your prayer time.  You put on your Super Christian Cape with matching Super Christian shades with, of course, super spiritual lenses.  You are clothed in righteousness, ready for the day!...