Skip to main content

Joseph: Treasure Chest

I've so enjoyed the study of Joseph, thus far.  For me, it has been much like finding a treasure chest, cautiously opening the lid, peering in trying to see everything the chest holds.  Layers upon layers, depths upon depths, discovering and analyzing every part of his life recounted in the Bible like examining small gemstones or more accurately witnessing the most beautiful diamond being formed amidst the ugliest circumstances. 

"Natural diamonds are formed about 100 miles beneath the earth's surface where carbon rich rocks are melted by the heat of the earth's mantle, a layer of liquid lava rock, and are compressed by the enormous pressure of the many miles of earth above them. As the earth churns, the heated rock may move upwards away from the heat and cool over time, which can form diamonds if the conditions are just right. It takes hundreds of thousands of years for the process to take place." (ehow.google)  To simplify--high temperature, high pressure.

Now, let's consider Joseph.  Comparing the process of diamond formation to the metamorphosis of the Boy Dreamer to the Prince of Egypt, if you will, is not a far reach.  Imprisoned likely felt like being 100 miles under the earth.  The flaming arrows of betrayal and injustice were sure to burn with the heat of liquid lava rock.  Those "fiery trials" referred to in 1 Peter spring to mind.  When these trials appear endless and unrelenting, it seems as if you've been in the heat of battle for billions of years.  The enormous pressure of the unfair accusations, pressure of the responsibilities exacted on a slave, pressure on the prisoner responsible for all of the other prisoners, pressure on the prisoner standing before Pharaoh to interpret dreams, pressure on the man charged with saving Egypt from seven years of famine.  All that pressure likely equates to the "pressure of many miles of earth."  Essentially, the weight of the world.  High temperature, high pressure.

O, but, the wealth that awaited Joseph on the other side of those horrible circumstances.  Soon, much like the diamond, Joseph moved upwards from the heat and his life began to cool.  He found crystals of peace, stability.  A life rich with family, his own wife and sons, in addition to a restored relationship with the family of his youth.  His reputation and integrity were once again intact.  He found wealth not only in material things, which he had plenty of you can be certain, but the man of God, the man of maturity, the man of strength that came forth in the end was worth more than silver and gold. 

The same holds true for you, my friend.  When you have the weight of the world on your shoulders--financial pressure, work-related pressure, parental pressure, spiritual battles, betrayals and injustices,  things completely out of your control--Hold On!  "He gives beauty for ashes, strength for fear, gladness for mourning and peace for despair." (Isaiah 61:3)

1 Peter 4:12,13 "Dear friends, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. Instead, be very glad—for these trials make you partners with Christ in His suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing His glory when it is revealed to all the world."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Pleaser

Hello, my name is Brittni and I am a people pleaser.  They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Today, I realized this has been a huge stumbling block for me.  Many of the situations I have found myself in can be attributed to doing something I didn't really want to do because I thought someone else wanted me to or better yet, needed me to do.  I have compromised my own beliefs, taken responsibility for things that were not my fault, even made untrue assessments about myself all for the pleasing of someone else.  I called it being agreeable, keeping the peace.  Only, I didn't have peace.  How dumb is that? Joyce Meyer writes, "IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING…Motives… Why are we doing (or not doing) something? Are we being motivated by fear, personal gain or a sense of obligation? Are we being motivated by a desire to be in control, accepted or seen?  These are all the wrong reasons for doing something. Our motive for...

The Refiner's Fire

The past couple of months have been difficult. Nothing earth-shattering has happened, no tragedies. I have been looking in the mirror of my soul. I have seen some ugly things. These "things" always come up when I pray earnestly for a clean heart. I'm referring to heart matters such as envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, pride, idolatry, even. It's the ugliness I see when I say, "Father, that I might melt into you!" You see in order to become one with Christ, He has to clean us up. He has to bring those unsightly things to the surface that we try to bury inside (all the while praying no one else sees them) in order for us to deal with them. This is The Refiner's Fire. The fire that burns out the dross to bring forth gold. That same fire referenced in Malachi 3:2 which states, "...He will be like a refiner's fire or the launderer's soap." John the Baptist foretells of Jesus' coming with "His winnowing fan...

Glasses

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about past, current, and even future relationships.  I've discovered ways in which past relationships have had an effect on current relationships and will quite possibly taint future relationships if corrections and adjustments are not made.  We are all aware past hurts, trials, struggles make us who we are, but we need to realize the impact those things have on our vision, the way we see people.  As my favorite Golden Girl would say, "picture it."  It is morning and you are super excited to be alive!  You get dressed and your morning routine could not be smoother or more efficient.  Your morning devotional was power-packed and you felt you actually touched the Throne of God in your prayer time.  You put on your Super Christian Cape with matching Super Christian shades with, of course, super spiritual lenses.  You are clothed in righteousness, ready for the day!...