Skip to main content

Oil of Myrrh


Photo by: Tiko Giorgadze
I love research. When something piques my interest, I am always compelled to dig a little deeper into the subject matter. Of late, I have been delving into the biblical book of Esther. There are so many takeaways and life lessons in just a few, short chapters. The narrative is as riveting as anything Hollywood or Disney could conjure up.

My favorite Old Testament book chronicles the life of King Xerxes and his marital woes with a disobedient queen who would later be replaced by Queen Esther, a Jewish orphan child reared by her doting cousin in the Persian country. The Bible tells us "she won the favor of everyone who saw her." (Esther 2:15) Before becoming a royal bride, however, there was a two-part, purification process that took place over the course of one year. The prescribed beauty treatments consisted of six months of oil of myrrh and six months of perfume and cosmetics. Having only heard of myrrh in reference to the gifts presented at the birth of Jesus, I wanted to know more about this incense as it is listed specifically by name in the scriptures.

Oil of myrrh is an aromatic antioxidant used for cracked, chapped, and wrinkled skin. Purifying, restorative, uplifting, and revitalizing are the descriptors I read about this healing product. In modern times, myrrh is even used as an oral hygiene product. Classified as a sesquiterpene, the oil directly effects the hypothalamus, pituitary, and amygdala, meaning this oil has a direct effect on the glands that control our emotions. To harvest this powerful ingredient, the thorny, myrrh tree is struck until it bleeds this precious resin. Myrrh was also listed as an additive to the holy anointing oil used to anoint the Tabernacle, high priests, and kings. (Wikipedia, Google)

The parallel of the oil of myrrh with that of Jesus' blood resonates within me. A tree held our severely beaten Savior wearing a thorny crown, bearing the stripes that heal the areas of our lives cracked, chapped, and wrinkled from the effects of a life lived on earth. In His sacrifice, He purifies our emotions, sanctifies our mouths, anoints our heads with oil, and lavishes us with His sweet fragrance. Wrapped in His favor, race, creed, and nationality are of no importance for we have a new lineage. Our past is washed away, and we emerge as a bride worthy of our King.

One more thing to ponder. As Esther was undergoing the sanctification process, her very existence was devoted to being found beautiful, pleasing, and desirable so she would be chosen to be the bride of the king. Esther’s position in the kingdom would soon save her people from utter annihilation. So, not only was the royal position one to be coveted, it was in fact a position for which she was destined. It was imperative that Esther was prepared to operate in the appointed position at the appointed time in the appointed place because the lives of her people depended on it. She made herself ready and when the time came, Esther fulfilled her destiny.

“Who knows if perhaps you were made queen for such a time as this?” Esther 4:14

We often get so entangled in the details and cares of everyday living that we neglect the purpose of our existence--to bring glory and honor to our King by making ourselves ready for the destiny He designed even before we formed in our mother’s womb. We should live our lives productively with Kingdom purpose so that we may be a sweet, healing fragrance to those in a lost world. There is a devastated, suffering people whose lives hang in the balance. What if you were born to be an advocate in this day? Would you be ready to step into the appointed position in the appointed time at the appointed place to fulfill your destiny?  If we could only grasp the importance of purifying our hearts and making ourselves ready, what a powerhouse we would be for the Kingdom!

Revelation 19:7, "Let us rejoice and be glad and give Him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and His bride has made herself ready."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Pleaser

Hello, my name is Brittni and I am a people pleaser.  They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Today, I realized this has been a huge stumbling block for me.  Many of the situations I have found myself in can be attributed to doing something I didn't really want to do because I thought someone else wanted me to or better yet, needed me to do.  I have compromised my own beliefs, taken responsibility for things that were not my fault, even made untrue assessments about myself all for the pleasing of someone else.  I called it being agreeable, keeping the peace.  Only, I didn't have peace.  How dumb is that? Joyce Meyer writes, "IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING…Motives… Why are we doing (or not doing) something? Are we being motivated by fear, personal gain or a sense of obligation? Are we being motivated by a desire to be in control, accepted or seen?  These are all the wrong reasons for doing something. Our motive for...

The Refiner's Fire

The past couple of months have been difficult. Nothing earth-shattering has happened, no tragedies. I have been looking in the mirror of my soul. I have seen some ugly things. These "things" always come up when I pray earnestly for a clean heart. I'm referring to heart matters such as envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, pride, idolatry, even. It's the ugliness I see when I say, "Father, that I might melt into you!" You see in order to become one with Christ, He has to clean us up. He has to bring those unsightly things to the surface that we try to bury inside (all the while praying no one else sees them) in order for us to deal with them. This is The Refiner's Fire. The fire that burns out the dross to bring forth gold. That same fire referenced in Malachi 3:2 which states, "...He will be like a refiner's fire or the launderer's soap." John the Baptist foretells of Jesus' coming with "His winnowing fan...

Glasses

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about past, current, and even future relationships.  I've discovered ways in which past relationships have had an effect on current relationships and will quite possibly taint future relationships if corrections and adjustments are not made.  We are all aware past hurts, trials, struggles make us who we are, but we need to realize the impact those things have on our vision, the way we see people.  As my favorite Golden Girl would say, "picture it."  It is morning and you are super excited to be alive!  You get dressed and your morning routine could not be smoother or more efficient.  Your morning devotional was power-packed and you felt you actually touched the Throne of God in your prayer time.  You put on your Super Christian Cape with matching Super Christian shades with, of course, super spiritual lenses.  You are clothed in righteousness, ready for the day!...