Skip to main content

Looking Back

Photo by Aja.
As a rule, reflecting on the past is discouraged. Mourning over past relationships, losses, mistakes made can be destructive. Like David, I have cried out so many times, "How long, Lord?" I often wondered if my life's journey will be wandering around in the desert land circling these same mountains, fighting these same battles, tripping over these same obstacles. Will I ever make progress? Will I ever see the mountain top, the Promised Land?

I am reminded of a time when my girls were both in diapers totally dependent on me for everything. Sometimes I would be become so frustrated wondering if I would EVER be able to enjoy a television show without interruption or be able to sleep without an invasion of tiny tots who would steal my covers and send me running for the sofa in the middle of the night. Now, however, they can go outside and play without constant supervision. They can prepare their own breakfast and get dressed by themselves. Of course, they still need me, but we have found a relaxed state of existence.

So it is with our journey in Christ. This morning, you may have awakened with a heavy heart of discouragement thinking you will never gain ground in the Kingdom, but I am here to tell you that is a lie from the pit of hell to prevent you from walking forward.  Things come to shake us and to reveal those hidden places in our hearts. We do not just hide sin in our hearts, but also hurts, insecurities, fears, and anxiety which can also stall our advancement.

This morning, I was so encouraged by Leviticus 26:13.
"I am the Lord your God Who brought you up from the land of Egypt, so you would no longer be their slaves. I broke the yoke of slavery from your neck so you can walk with your head held high."
There is hope, my sweet friend. God has not forsaken you. Look back to the place from which He brought you and hold your head high! You have made progress. You are not the person you were a year ago, a month ago, or even yesterday. You are not stalled but forging through! Rejoice and share the good news, the freedom that comes only in serving the risen Savior!

"And in the future, your children will ask you, 'What does this mean?' Then, you will tell them, 'With the power of His mighty hand, the Lord brought us out of Egypt, the place of our slavery.'"

Exodus 13:14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Pleaser

Hello, my name is Brittni and I am a people pleaser.  They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Today, I realized this has been a huge stumbling block for me.  Many of the situations I have found myself in can be attributed to doing something I didn't really want to do because I thought someone else wanted me to or better yet, needed me to do.  I have compromised my own beliefs, taken responsibility for things that were not my fault, even made untrue assessments about myself all for the pleasing of someone else.  I called it being agreeable, keeping the peace.  Only, I didn't have peace.  How dumb is that? Joyce Meyer writes, "IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING…Motives… Why are we doing (or not doing) something? Are we being motivated by fear, personal gain or a sense of obligation? Are we being motivated by a desire to be in control, accepted or seen?  These are all the wrong reasons for doing something. Our motive for...

The Refiner's Fire

The past couple of months have been difficult. Nothing earth-shattering has happened, no tragedies. I have been looking in the mirror of my soul. I have seen some ugly things. These "things" always come up when I pray earnestly for a clean heart. I'm referring to heart matters such as envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, pride, idolatry, even. It's the ugliness I see when I say, "Father, that I might melt into you!" You see in order to become one with Christ, He has to clean us up. He has to bring those unsightly things to the surface that we try to bury inside (all the while praying no one else sees them) in order for us to deal with them. This is The Refiner's Fire. The fire that burns out the dross to bring forth gold. That same fire referenced in Malachi 3:2 which states, "...He will be like a refiner's fire or the launderer's soap." John the Baptist foretells of Jesus' coming with "His winnowing fan...

Glasses

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about past, current, and even future relationships.  I've discovered ways in which past relationships have had an effect on current relationships and will quite possibly taint future relationships if corrections and adjustments are not made.  We are all aware past hurts, trials, struggles make us who we are, but we need to realize the impact those things have on our vision, the way we see people.  As my favorite Golden Girl would say, "picture it."  It is morning and you are super excited to be alive!  You get dressed and your morning routine could not be smoother or more efficient.  Your morning devotional was power-packed and you felt you actually touched the Throne of God in your prayer time.  You put on your Super Christian Cape with matching Super Christian shades with, of course, super spiritual lenses.  You are clothed in righteousness, ready for the day!...