Skip to main content

You Can't Pick Tomatos In the Winter

Sometimes the Bible can seem so contradictory.  Matthew 7:7 (NLT) states “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you."  Phillipians 4:6 (NLT) tells us, "Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done."  So, I've been questioning when am I supposed to "make my petitions known with thanksgiving" and walk away leaving my requests at The Throne and when should I "keep asking, seeking, knocking?"  I've said numerous times, God, I have prayed, fasted, spoken The Word regarding this situation with no answer.  Tell me what you want me to do.  What is it going to take?  I've done all I know to do.  Is there something hindering your answer as was with Daniel?  (Daniel 10, 11)  I believe I finally have my answer.

Last night, my uncle and I were talking about some things I've been praying about.  He said to me, "think about it this way.  You may really want to go out and pick tomatoes during the winter.  It doesn't matter how badly you want to walk out to the field and pick them, they aren't going to be there because tomatoes do not grow in the winter.  It's the same with God.  Sometimes, we ask Him for things in the wrong season.  It doesn't matter how badly you want them.  Nor does it mean, you can't have them, but the timing may be wrong.  The season may be wrong."  Brilliant!  So, the answer may not be no, just not now.  Food for thought...pun totally intended. :)

Every morning, I receive a "Scripture for the Day" on my cell phone.  Today's scripture was John 6:27 which reads, "Do not labor for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life..."  Another aha! moment!  Eureka!  Food that perishes translated material things, earthly things, those things that will come and go, but do not really matter with regard to eternal life.  Food that endures to eternal life translated intercession for lost souls, a higher spiritual walk, overcoming stumbling blocks in our life such as temptation, sins of the heart, things that might separate us from God, iniquity.  In other words, a new house, car, basic physical or material needs and wants versus overcoming alcoholism, lust, gluttony, addictions, besetting sins.

So, we should labor for those things that secure our eternal life and those things that make life here more enjoyable or more bearable, we can make known and trust God to bring it in His timing and in the proper season.  Strive for holiness and be thankful for what you do have and He will continue to meet EVERY need.

Matthew 6:33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Pleaser

Hello, my name is Brittni and I am a people pleaser.  They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Today, I realized this has been a huge stumbling block for me.  Many of the situations I have found myself in can be attributed to doing something I didn't really want to do because I thought someone else wanted me to or better yet, needed me to do.  I have compromised my own beliefs, taken responsibility for things that were not my fault, even made untrue assessments about myself all for the pleasing of someone else.  I called it being agreeable, keeping the peace.  Only, I didn't have peace.  How dumb is that? Joyce Meyer writes, "IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING…Motives… Why are we doing (or not doing) something? Are we being motivated by fear, personal gain or a sense of obligation? Are we being motivated by a desire to be in control, accepted or seen?  These are all the wrong reasons for doing something. Our motive for...

The Refiner's Fire

The past couple of months have been difficult. Nothing earth-shattering has happened, no tragedies. I have been looking in the mirror of my soul. I have seen some ugly things. These "things" always come up when I pray earnestly for a clean heart. I'm referring to heart matters such as envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, pride, idolatry, even. It's the ugliness I see when I say, "Father, that I might melt into you!" You see in order to become one with Christ, He has to clean us up. He has to bring those unsightly things to the surface that we try to bury inside (all the while praying no one else sees them) in order for us to deal with them. This is The Refiner's Fire. The fire that burns out the dross to bring forth gold. That same fire referenced in Malachi 3:2 which states, "...He will be like a refiner's fire or the launderer's soap." John the Baptist foretells of Jesus' coming with "His winnowing fan...

Glasses

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about past, current, and even future relationships.  I've discovered ways in which past relationships have had an effect on current relationships and will quite possibly taint future relationships if corrections and adjustments are not made.  We are all aware past hurts, trials, struggles make us who we are, but we need to realize the impact those things have on our vision, the way we see people.  As my favorite Golden Girl would say, "picture it."  It is morning and you are super excited to be alive!  You get dressed and your morning routine could not be smoother or more efficient.  Your morning devotional was power-packed and you felt you actually touched the Throne of God in your prayer time.  You put on your Super Christian Cape with matching Super Christian shades with, of course, super spiritual lenses.  You are clothed in righteousness, ready for the day!...