Skip to main content

Rest in Peace

So, I sat down tonight with the intention of paying my respects to my Dad who would have celebrated a birthday today.  When I wrote the title, however, I felt the Lord turn me in a different direction.  He's telling me to literally rest in peace.  His peace...

Often times, we become enveloped by the circumstances around us.  We look at the storm rather than looking to the One Whom "even the winds and the waves obey."  (Mark 4:41)  I have been so caught up in the wind and the waves that I thought I would surely sink.  I have felt as though my spirit has been literally gasping for another breath.  I have been treading water, bobbing for air.  During this time, I have discovered I want to run back to "fixes" of a former life.  I'm not necessarily referring to alcohol per se, but I'm referring more to the old way of doing things.  By that I mean, I'm trying to control uncontrollable situations, or trying to relieve an inner aching with something of no real value, or looking to other people to fill a void that just cannot be filled by any human being on this earth.  Isaiah 59:1 tells us to "Listen! The Lord’s arm is not too weak to save you, nor is his ear too deaf to hear you call."

Rather than running to those things, I am running hard and fast from those things.  I am running to the "Strong Tower" where I can find safety. (Proverbs 18:10)  I am planting my feet, I am taking hold of the hem of His garment, I am not letting go!

I will rest in His perfect peace.

Isaiah 26:3 "You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Pleaser

Hello, my name is Brittni and I am a people pleaser.  They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Today, I realized this has been a huge stumbling block for me.  Many of the situations I have found myself in can be attributed to doing something I didn't really want to do because I thought someone else wanted me to or better yet, needed me to do.  I have compromised my own beliefs, taken responsibility for things that were not my fault, even made untrue assessments about myself all for the pleasing of someone else.  I called it being agreeable, keeping the peace.  Only, I didn't have peace.  How dumb is that? Joyce Meyer writes, "IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING…Motives… Why are we doing (or not doing) something? Are we being motivated by fear, personal gain or a sense of obligation? Are we being motivated by a desire to be in control, accepted or seen?  These are all the wrong reasons for doing something. Our motive for...

The Refiner's Fire

The past couple of months have been difficult. Nothing earth-shattering has happened, no tragedies. I have been looking in the mirror of my soul. I have seen some ugly things. These "things" always come up when I pray earnestly for a clean heart. I'm referring to heart matters such as envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, pride, idolatry, even. It's the ugliness I see when I say, "Father, that I might melt into you!" You see in order to become one with Christ, He has to clean us up. He has to bring those unsightly things to the surface that we try to bury inside (all the while praying no one else sees them) in order for us to deal with them. This is The Refiner's Fire. The fire that burns out the dross to bring forth gold. That same fire referenced in Malachi 3:2 which states, "...He will be like a refiner's fire or the launderer's soap." John the Baptist foretells of Jesus' coming with "His winnowing fan...

Glasses

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about past, current, and even future relationships.  I've discovered ways in which past relationships have had an effect on current relationships and will quite possibly taint future relationships if corrections and adjustments are not made.  We are all aware past hurts, trials, struggles make us who we are, but we need to realize the impact those things have on our vision, the way we see people.  As my favorite Golden Girl would say, "picture it."  It is morning and you are super excited to be alive!  You get dressed and your morning routine could not be smoother or more efficient.  Your morning devotional was power-packed and you felt you actually touched the Throne of God in your prayer time.  You put on your Super Christian Cape with matching Super Christian shades with, of course, super spiritual lenses.  You are clothed in righteousness, ready for the day!...