Skip to main content

Abandonment

a·ban·don  /əˈbændən/ [uh-ban-duhn] :
  –verb (used with object)
   –to leave completely and finally; forsake utterly; desert

There is nothing worse than that feeling.  Lost, alone, scared, empty, worried, confused...all because of one act.  Abandonment.

I went through a period of my life where I was essentially a "dead man walking."  Everything in life that I believed to be true, tangible, lasting had disappeared.  Poof!  The proverbial rug snatched from under me. Things I believed to be one way were suddenly another.  People that I was sure would be with me always were suddenly forever gone without so much as a glimpse back in my direction.  Nothing was real anymore.   It began to appear that life was nothing more than smoke and mirrors. The only way to survive was to learn the ropes.  I adopted a new motto from Hollywood's most famous "Blonde Bombshell".
‎"A wise girl kisses but doesn't love, leaves before she is left and forgets before she is forgotten."  --Marilyn Monroe
I couldn't even grieve for my dad.  Angry, bitter tears would come, but not those tears that cleanse the soul. 

It has taken many years to be able to come to terms with my  dad's death, divorce, and the loss of relationships.  There was even someone I thought would surely step in and take on a fatherly or at the very least a mentoring role.  He never looked back, either.  It was the loss of my first love that was the hardest, the most damaging--I lost my relationship with the Lord.  Ironically, I abandoned Him. I felt like He was hurting me so I hurt Him back.  Truth is, I ended up hurting myself.  I hurt my family who was trying to cope with their own grief.

The good news:  I have found my way back and I would dare say higher heights and deeper depths.  As the prodigal child, I had to wallow in the hog pen.  But, I have been received by the Father who threw His arms around me, clothed me in His joy and peace, and made me whole, again.  All I had to do was turn around and run back toward Him.  He is my Rock and my Salvation!

Deuteronomy 31:8:  "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Pleaser

Hello, my name is Brittni and I am a people pleaser.  They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Today, I realized this has been a huge stumbling block for me.  Many of the situations I have found myself in can be attributed to doing something I didn't really want to do because I thought someone else wanted me to or better yet, needed me to do.  I have compromised my own beliefs, taken responsibility for things that were not my fault, even made untrue assessments about myself all for the pleasing of someone else.  I called it being agreeable, keeping the peace.  Only, I didn't have peace.  How dumb is that? Joyce Meyer writes, "IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING…Motives… Why are we doing (or not doing) something? Are we being motivated by fear, personal gain or a sense of obligation? Are we being motivated by a desire to be in control, accepted or seen?  These are all the wrong reasons for doing something. Our motive for...

The Refiner's Fire

The past couple of months have been difficult. Nothing earth-shattering has happened, no tragedies. I have been looking in the mirror of my soul. I have seen some ugly things. These "things" always come up when I pray earnestly for a clean heart. I'm referring to heart matters such as envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, pride, idolatry, even. It's the ugliness I see when I say, "Father, that I might melt into you!" You see in order to become one with Christ, He has to clean us up. He has to bring those unsightly things to the surface that we try to bury inside (all the while praying no one else sees them) in order for us to deal with them. This is The Refiner's Fire. The fire that burns out the dross to bring forth gold. That same fire referenced in Malachi 3:2 which states, "...He will be like a refiner's fire or the launderer's soap." John the Baptist foretells of Jesus' coming with "His winnowing fan...

Glasses

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about past, current, and even future relationships.  I've discovered ways in which past relationships have had an effect on current relationships and will quite possibly taint future relationships if corrections and adjustments are not made.  We are all aware past hurts, trials, struggles make us who we are, but we need to realize the impact those things have on our vision, the way we see people.  As my favorite Golden Girl would say, "picture it."  It is morning and you are super excited to be alive!  You get dressed and your morning routine could not be smoother or more efficient.  Your morning devotional was power-packed and you felt you actually touched the Throne of God in your prayer time.  You put on your Super Christian Cape with matching Super Christian shades with, of course, super spiritual lenses.  You are clothed in righteousness, ready for the day!...