Skip to main content

Stillborn

"Even in laughter the heart may ache, and rejoicing may end in grief."

-Proverbs 14:13

Grief is a funny thing that sneaks up on you when you least expect it. There is no respect for time and place. Mourning may overtake you at work or in the middle of the grocery store. It keeps you up all night or invades your dreams. Sorrow has many faces. It is loneliness in a crowded room, unwarranted anger, a roller coaster of emotion, or apathy. Everyone is different, and everyone laments in their own way. Some find an inner drive to reinvent themselves while others drown in hopelessness and succumb to defeat.
"No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear." 
-C.S. Lewis

In research for this blog, I ran across an article about a female chimpanzee whose baby died. That mama chimp carried her dead baby around for three days. One Sunday morning as I was getting ready for church, I saw a vision of myself so clearly, I began to weep. In my grief, I have also been carrying around dead babies. Have you?

"She smiles, but her heart weeps."

Think about this. Stillborn is defined as "ineffectual from the beginning; abortive; fruitless. While I did in recent months have a natural miscarriage that I have truly mourned, the dead babies I saw were disappointments, broken relationships, dreams that did not become reality, miracles that did not take place, and so on. Many were Ishmaels, things of my own doing to create happiness or fulfill my own desires. These were fruitless and ineffectual from the beginning because they were my plans, not God's plan.

In 2 Samuel 12, King David fasted and prayed for days on behalf of his infant son who became ill because David had sinned against the Lord. On the seventh day, the baby died as was foretold by the prophet, Nathan. The bible tells us upon hearing the news, David got up from the sackcloth, washed, changed his clothes, and went to the house of the Lord to worship.

I believe as it says in Proverbs that there is a time to mourn. The problem is we can get stuck in our grief. I appeal to you today if you are carrying around past hurts, past failures, or past disappointments, perhaps now is the time to get up from your sackcloth of mourning, wash in the water of the Word, and worship! Thank the Lord Jesus for not allowing your feeble attempts to become reality. As we know, anything we build ourselves is never going to compare to what "God has prepared for those who love Him!" (1 Corinthians 2:9) Pray earnestly for Him to fill every void and to heal every broken place. He is faithful to do that for you. How do I know? Because He's doing it for me!

Habakkuk 3:17-18
"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails, and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior."

Comments

  1. This brought tears to my eyes! Such a comforting writing. And God is flowing through your hands like a river. So blessed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words! God is so very good!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

People Pleaser

Hello, my name is Brittni and I am a people pleaser.  They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Today, I realized this has been a huge stumbling block for me.  Many of the situations I have found myself in can be attributed to doing something I didn't really want to do because I thought someone else wanted me to or better yet, needed me to do.  I have compromised my own beliefs, taken responsibility for things that were not my fault, even made untrue assessments about myself all for the pleasing of someone else.  I called it being agreeable, keeping the peace.  Only, I didn't have peace.  How dumb is that? Joyce Meyer writes, "IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING…Motives… Why are we doing (or not doing) something? Are we being motivated by fear, personal gain or a sense of obligation? Are we being motivated by a desire to be in control, accepted or seen?  These are all the wrong reasons for doing something. Our motive for...

The Refiner's Fire

The past couple of months have been difficult. Nothing earth-shattering has happened, no tragedies. I have been looking in the mirror of my soul. I have seen some ugly things. These "things" always come up when I pray earnestly for a clean heart. I'm referring to heart matters such as envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, pride, idolatry, even. It's the ugliness I see when I say, "Father, that I might melt into you!" You see in order to become one with Christ, He has to clean us up. He has to bring those unsightly things to the surface that we try to bury inside (all the while praying no one else sees them) in order for us to deal with them. This is The Refiner's Fire. The fire that burns out the dross to bring forth gold. That same fire referenced in Malachi 3:2 which states, "...He will be like a refiner's fire or the launderer's soap." John the Baptist foretells of Jesus' coming with "His winnowing fan...

Glasses

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about past, current, and even future relationships.  I've discovered ways in which past relationships have had an effect on current relationships and will quite possibly taint future relationships if corrections and adjustments are not made.  We are all aware past hurts, trials, struggles make us who we are, but we need to realize the impact those things have on our vision, the way we see people.  As my favorite Golden Girl would say, "picture it."  It is morning and you are super excited to be alive!  You get dressed and your morning routine could not be smoother or more efficient.  Your morning devotional was power-packed and you felt you actually touched the Throne of God in your prayer time.  You put on your Super Christian Cape with matching Super Christian shades with, of course, super spiritual lenses.  You are clothed in righteousness, ready for the day!...