Skip to main content

The Dance

Photo by David Hoffman

Admittedly, deep--and I must stress very deep--into the cavernous parts of my being, I am a romantic. The idea of the white knight coming to my rescue and making all the wrong things right, standing in my defense, wielding a redemptive sword on my behalf is heart-warming, comforting even. The oneness of the slow dance, two bodies moving in unison, a complete surrender to the one leading the dance is beautiful. However, my reality is solidarity; I am dancing solo. My journey has been one mostly walked alone. Do not misunderstand. I have a wonderful family and support system, and two lovely girls who make my heart smile. I am surrounded by those who pray for me and wish me well. Engulfed in a sea of well-meaning people, I stand alone. 

As a single mother, making multiple, split-second decisions is a daily task. Some I actually get right, but some days I could sure use a do-over. Of course, there are those secret heart things which remain hidden, waiting to confide in that one person you know has your back no-matter-what. Decisions about my kids, my career, my finances, my spiritual walk are made in holy fear. God, please do not let me make the wrong choice as it affects my children, my livelihood, or my relationship with You.

Tonight, under a blanket of stars, I looked up to the vast sky and cried out, "God, why is it no matter how far I come, I walk alone? I bear the weight alone. I bear the responsibility alone. Lord, I'm not afraid, I'm weary." Then, I am reminded of this powerful scripture in Hebrews 13:5b AMP:

 "...for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support."

Many are the times I have started over, embarked on new adventures following the path laid out before me. Never once, have I truly been alone. He is always with me. As I melt into unison with the One leading me, how comforting to know He, the God of all creation, is the white knight coming to my rescue and making all the wrong things right, standing in my defense, wielding a redemptive sword on my behalf.

Do not be weary on your journey, friends. Enjoy the dance.


"Life's been a journey. I've seen joy. I've seen regret. Oh, and You have been my God through all of it..." -Colton Dixon, Through All of It, Anchor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Pleaser

Hello, my name is Brittni and I am a people pleaser.  They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Today, I realized this has been a huge stumbling block for me.  Many of the situations I have found myself in can be attributed to doing something I didn't really want to do because I thought someone else wanted me to or better yet, needed me to do.  I have compromised my own beliefs, taken responsibility for things that were not my fault, even made untrue assessments about myself all for the pleasing of someone else.  I called it being agreeable, keeping the peace.  Only, I didn't have peace.  How dumb is that? Joyce Meyer writes, "IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING…Motives… Why are we doing (or not doing) something? Are we being motivated by fear, personal gain or a sense of obligation? Are we being motivated by a desire to be in control, accepted or seen?  These are all the wrong reasons for doing something. Our motive for...

The Refiner's Fire

The past couple of months have been difficult. Nothing earth-shattering has happened, no tragedies. I have been looking in the mirror of my soul. I have seen some ugly things. These "things" always come up when I pray earnestly for a clean heart. I'm referring to heart matters such as envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, pride, idolatry, even. It's the ugliness I see when I say, "Father, that I might melt into you!" You see in order to become one with Christ, He has to clean us up. He has to bring those unsightly things to the surface that we try to bury inside (all the while praying no one else sees them) in order for us to deal with them. This is The Refiner's Fire. The fire that burns out the dross to bring forth gold. That same fire referenced in Malachi 3:2 which states, "...He will be like a refiner's fire or the launderer's soap." John the Baptist foretells of Jesus' coming with "His winnowing fan...

Glasses

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about past, current, and even future relationships.  I've discovered ways in which past relationships have had an effect on current relationships and will quite possibly taint future relationships if corrections and adjustments are not made.  We are all aware past hurts, trials, struggles make us who we are, but we need to realize the impact those things have on our vision, the way we see people.  As my favorite Golden Girl would say, "picture it."  It is morning and you are super excited to be alive!  You get dressed and your morning routine could not be smoother or more efficient.  Your morning devotional was power-packed and you felt you actually touched the Throne of God in your prayer time.  You put on your Super Christian Cape with matching Super Christian shades with, of course, super spiritual lenses.  You are clothed in righteousness, ready for the day!...