Skip to main content

The Accuser

If you were to ask most any person brought up in the Christian faith if they believe in God,  they would emphatically reply, "Yes!"  If you ask those same people if they believe Satan is real, they would likely answer with the same response.  Again, asking the same group of people, do you believe God is Truth and Satan is a liar, with great conviction the same answer would apply.  However, one of the biggest stumbling blocks for Christians is that we more readily listen to those lies the enemy throws at us.  For some reason, we have a much harder time trusting the Truth, although getting us to admit to that fact would be an even greater feat.

Have you ever been involved in a mindless chore like washing dishes or getting ready for work when all of sudden you find yourself engaged in conversations in you head?  I cannot believe she talked to me that way?  I don't think she really likes me at all. Or, I saw the way he looked at me. He must think I am  a complete idiot!  Or,  I will never be good enough, smart enough, pretty enough...

You can rest assured your thoughts have just been hacked by The Accuser.  One of Satan's most viable tactics is to lay a trap, then ridicule the fallen victim.  Let's use the temptation of alcohol as an example.  Imagine this scenario:

See Jane.  Quite unexpectedly, someone from Jane's past life approaches her in a random store on a beautiful afternoon saying, "We've sure missed hanging out; we need to catch up, girl!  If you don't have plans tonight, why not come by and have a drink like old times?"  Jane replies, "Oh no, I can't.  I haven't had a drink in several years now."  Then comes the expected refute, "Well, sounds to me like you sure could use one.  You've been through so much!  You deserve one or two!  What's the harm in that?"  Jane, with all the strength she can muster bows out gracefully, goes home to an empty house, an empty bed, the lonely silence.  The battle is on!  She thinks, Well, I'm not the same person I was before.  I would never let it get out of hand, again.  I'm stronger, more mature.  Really, what would one or maybe two drinks hurt?  Jane gets dressed up, goes out, has one or two drinks that lead to four or five.  The next morning, she finds herself hung over trying to piece the events of the previous night back together.  Into her very mind marches Satan, himself saying, "Well, you sure messed up last night.  What kind of Christian are you anyway?  You may as well give up.  Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.  You weren't really delivered from this; you've just been in denial."  See Jane fall.

Revelation 12:10 plainly describes the scene of the enemy accusing us "before our God day and night."  He lays the trap, then runs and tattles to God, the Father.  That's just like a little imp!  So, how do we combat the accusations hurled at us.  Fight fire with fire!  Fight lies with truth, The Truth.  Scripture tells us that "He [Satan] has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies."  Take heart, we do have One on our side as is recorded in 1 John 2:1, "But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous."  Revelation 1:5 further describes Him as "the faithful witness."  We are encouraged to believe the teachings of Christ so that we will "know the Truth and the Truth will set us free!"  (John 8:32,44) 

Battle Plan:  Scripture provides that we should study the Word, believe the teachings of Jesus, and the most crucial step is to apply those teachings.  You can know that for every lie the enemy thrusts at you, there is a truth that will counteract it.  Find a scripture that will stop those thoughts from bombarding your mind, your heart, your salvation.  Ponder these examples:

The Lie:  I will never amount to anything.

The Truth:  "And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns."  Philippians 1:6

The Lie:  I just can't do this.

The Truth:  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:13

The Lie:  I am so unattractive.

The Truth:  "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. " Psalm 139:14

The Lie:  Well, I've really messed up this time.  Even God can't love me through this one.

The Truth:  "And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39

The Lie:  Well, Jesus was perfect; I could never lived as He did.

The Truth:  "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin."  Please note, Jesus was perfect for many reasons and in all His ways, but He was flesh just as we are flesh.  He faced the very same things we face, but Jesus resisted temptation and bore our weaknesses that we might also be made perfect.

Another big lie?  The Bible is a boring read.  This Book is full of good vs. evil, love and hate, war and peace, adultery and commitment, sex and scandal.  There is passion, self-help, sound principles for success and prosperity.  And of course, the story of REDEMPTION!  This is a must read because the Word is life.  It literally comes alive inside of you!  When that happens, you will not want to put this book down!


Psalm 33:4 "For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Pleaser

Hello, my name is Brittni and I am a people pleaser.  They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Today, I realized this has been a huge stumbling block for me.  Many of the situations I have found myself in can be attributed to doing something I didn't really want to do because I thought someone else wanted me to or better yet, needed me to do.  I have compromised my own beliefs, taken responsibility for things that were not my fault, even made untrue assessments about myself all for the pleasing of someone else.  I called it being agreeable, keeping the peace.  Only, I didn't have peace.  How dumb is that? Joyce Meyer writes, "IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING…Motives… Why are we doing (or not doing) something? Are we being motivated by fear, personal gain or a sense of obligation? Are we being motivated by a desire to be in control, accepted or seen?  These are all the wrong reasons for doing something. Our motive for...

The Refiner's Fire

The past couple of months have been difficult. Nothing earth-shattering has happened, no tragedies. I have been looking in the mirror of my soul. I have seen some ugly things. These "things" always come up when I pray earnestly for a clean heart. I'm referring to heart matters such as envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, pride, idolatry, even. It's the ugliness I see when I say, "Father, that I might melt into you!" You see in order to become one with Christ, He has to clean us up. He has to bring those unsightly things to the surface that we try to bury inside (all the while praying no one else sees them) in order for us to deal with them. This is The Refiner's Fire. The fire that burns out the dross to bring forth gold. That same fire referenced in Malachi 3:2 which states, "...He will be like a refiner's fire or the launderer's soap." John the Baptist foretells of Jesus' coming with "His winnowing fan...

Glasses

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about past, current, and even future relationships.  I've discovered ways in which past relationships have had an effect on current relationships and will quite possibly taint future relationships if corrections and adjustments are not made.  We are all aware past hurts, trials, struggles make us who we are, but we need to realize the impact those things have on our vision, the way we see people.  As my favorite Golden Girl would say, "picture it."  It is morning and you are super excited to be alive!  You get dressed and your morning routine could not be smoother or more efficient.  Your morning devotional was power-packed and you felt you actually touched the Throne of God in your prayer time.  You put on your Super Christian Cape with matching Super Christian shades with, of course, super spiritual lenses.  You are clothed in righteousness, ready for the day!...