Skip to main content

Come Boldly

I am currently working through Beth Moore's study of David which is concentrated in the book of 2 Samuel.  In Chapter 19, the story reveals a conversation between Saul's grandson, Mephibosheth, and King David.  If you are familiar with the history of David, you remember the King sought out anyone left of Saul's lineage that he might bless.  Mephibosheth is described biblically as "crippled in both feet."  King David took him in and insisted the lame man would always eat at his table.  This particular part of the study is focused on the loyalty of Saul's descendant to King David, but the part of this passage that quickened me was the following verse.  Mephibosheth tells the King, "All my grandfather's descendants deserved nothing but death from my lord the king, but you gave your servant a place among those who eat at your table.  So what right do I have to make any more appeals to the king?"

In 2 Samuel 9:8, Mephibosheth describes himself as a "dead dog," yet he bows before the king despite his handicap.  I thought, how many times have I felt that way in my relationship with The King of Kings?  I have often felt crippled in both feet surely deserving to be struck down--sentenced to death.  In my brokenness and shame, My Lord the King, has always, without fail made a place for me at His table.  He has provided for me, restored me, lifted me up!  Never has God left me alone in my brokenness.  Not one time.  Not ever.

Ephesians 3:12 states that "because of Christ and our faith in him, we can now come boldly and confidently into God’s presence."  We are further encouraged by Phillipians 4:6, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."  So, we do not have to worry about how many "appeals" we have made, or how damaged we are, or how bleak the situation appears.  We may come boldly before the Throne and ask freely of our Father who "delights in the details of our lives." Oh, how He loves us!


Hebrews 4:16 "So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Pleaser

Hello, my name is Brittni and I am a people pleaser.  They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Today, I realized this has been a huge stumbling block for me.  Many of the situations I have found myself in can be attributed to doing something I didn't really want to do because I thought someone else wanted me to or better yet, needed me to do.  I have compromised my own beliefs, taken responsibility for things that were not my fault, even made untrue assessments about myself all for the pleasing of someone else.  I called it being agreeable, keeping the peace.  Only, I didn't have peace.  How dumb is that? Joyce Meyer writes, "IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING…Motives… Why are we doing (or not doing) something? Are we being motivated by fear, personal gain or a sense of obligation? Are we being motivated by a desire to be in control, accepted or seen?  These are all the wrong reasons for doing something. Our motive for...

The Refiner's Fire

The past couple of months have been difficult. Nothing earth-shattering has happened, no tragedies. I have been looking in the mirror of my soul. I have seen some ugly things. These "things" always come up when I pray earnestly for a clean heart. I'm referring to heart matters such as envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, pride, idolatry, even. It's the ugliness I see when I say, "Father, that I might melt into you!" You see in order to become one with Christ, He has to clean us up. He has to bring those unsightly things to the surface that we try to bury inside (all the while praying no one else sees them) in order for us to deal with them. This is The Refiner's Fire. The fire that burns out the dross to bring forth gold. That same fire referenced in Malachi 3:2 which states, "...He will be like a refiner's fire or the launderer's soap." John the Baptist foretells of Jesus' coming with "His winnowing fan...

Glasses

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about past, current, and even future relationships.  I've discovered ways in which past relationships have had an effect on current relationships and will quite possibly taint future relationships if corrections and adjustments are not made.  We are all aware past hurts, trials, struggles make us who we are, but we need to realize the impact those things have on our vision, the way we see people.  As my favorite Golden Girl would say, "picture it."  It is morning and you are super excited to be alive!  You get dressed and your morning routine could not be smoother or more efficient.  Your morning devotional was power-packed and you felt you actually touched the Throne of God in your prayer time.  You put on your Super Christian Cape with matching Super Christian shades with, of course, super spiritual lenses.  You are clothed in righteousness, ready for the day!...