Skip to main content

Grief

C.S. Lewis wrote in A Grief Observed, "No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear."  That is so unbelievably true.  Both grip your heart.  Both have an effect on your perception.  Both can be debilitating mentally, emotionally, spiritually, even physically.  The sister emotions can become intertwined, as well.

In death, you have the heartbreak of losing someone you care about coupled with the fear of life never being "normal" again.  Both leave you saying, Where do I go from here?  Same goes for a bad breakup which to me feels also like a death--death of the person you thought you knew, death of a love you thought would last forever, death of a bond you thought to be unbreakable, a soul tie severed.  Then comes the fear, Will you ever be able to let someone that close, again?  Will you ever trust, again? Will you ever bounce back from this? 

From a spiritual standpoint, we can grieve over sin be it intentional or unintentional --bad choices, decisions, disobedience, rebellion.  The fear in that, for me at least, is separation from God.  I could not wake up everyday if I thought He was not upholding me, sustaining me.  My favorite scripture in times like these can be found in Romans 8:39, "neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." 

I love this quote by Denis Waitley:  "Mistakes are painful when they happen, but years later a collection of mistakes is what is called experience." We have to move forward through the muck of grief and fear so that if we see a friend who cannot trudge through it, we are, then, equipped to pull them out with no man left behind.  For truly what is the point of all we go through if we cannot use it for His glory?  In all things, be Thou glorified!


Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works together with those who love Him to bring about what is good—with those who have been called according to his purpose. "

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Pleaser

Hello, my name is Brittni and I am a people pleaser.  They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Today, I realized this has been a huge stumbling block for me.  Many of the situations I have found myself in can be attributed to doing something I didn't really want to do because I thought someone else wanted me to or better yet, needed me to do.  I have compromised my own beliefs, taken responsibility for things that were not my fault, even made untrue assessments about myself all for the pleasing of someone else.  I called it being agreeable, keeping the peace.  Only, I didn't have peace.  How dumb is that? Joyce Meyer writes, "IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING…Motives… Why are we doing (or not doing) something? Are we being motivated by fear, personal gain or a sense of obligation? Are we being motivated by a desire to be in control, accepted or seen?  These are all the wrong reasons for doing something. Our motive for...

The Refiner's Fire

The past couple of months have been difficult. Nothing earth-shattering has happened, no tragedies. I have been looking in the mirror of my soul. I have seen some ugly things. These "things" always come up when I pray earnestly for a clean heart. I'm referring to heart matters such as envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, pride, idolatry, even. It's the ugliness I see when I say, "Father, that I might melt into you!" You see in order to become one with Christ, He has to clean us up. He has to bring those unsightly things to the surface that we try to bury inside (all the while praying no one else sees them) in order for us to deal with them. This is The Refiner's Fire. The fire that burns out the dross to bring forth gold. That same fire referenced in Malachi 3:2 which states, "...He will be like a refiner's fire or the launderer's soap." John the Baptist foretells of Jesus' coming with "His winnowing fan...

Glasses

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about past, current, and even future relationships.  I've discovered ways in which past relationships have had an effect on current relationships and will quite possibly taint future relationships if corrections and adjustments are not made.  We are all aware past hurts, trials, struggles make us who we are, but we need to realize the impact those things have on our vision, the way we see people.  As my favorite Golden Girl would say, "picture it."  It is morning and you are super excited to be alive!  You get dressed and your morning routine could not be smoother or more efficient.  Your morning devotional was power-packed and you felt you actually touched the Throne of God in your prayer time.  You put on your Super Christian Cape with matching Super Christian shades with, of course, super spiritual lenses.  You are clothed in righteousness, ready for the day!...