Skip to main content

Stumble

As you know by now, I have two daughters ages 2 and 3. This month, they both began taking gymnastics at our local YMCA. Tonight was their second night of class, and they are having a blast, but WOW are we all tired!!! Afterwards, we made a few stops before going home. When we arrived, I helped Carlise, the older child, out of her seat and watched as she ambled up to the front door of our apartment. The poor kid moved as if each foot weighed a ton. I called out to her to be careful and to watch her step. She did stumble a little while making her way to her assigned spot where she stood patiently while I helped her younger sister, Reese, out of the car. The younger followed exactly in the older's steps. She ambled, she stumbled, she waited.

I started thinking about our walk through life. We get so very tired. Our feet feel so heavy as we become overwhelmed with the cares of this life. If we listen,though, we can hear our Father calling out to us, "Be careful. Watch your step." He keeps us from falling into temptation or helps us to stumble forward rather than backward. Psalm 34:15, Amplified, tells us that "The eyes of the Lord are toward the [uncompromisingly] righteous and His ears are open to their cry." He does love us so much and He wants to carry the load for us just as it is in the text of Footprints in the Sand. The author defines the moment of "one set of footprints" as being a time when Jesus is carrying us. We will amble, we will stumble, and if we will wait patiently, we will hear His voice. We will feel Him lift us above the circumstances, out of the "horrible pit" David describes in the book of Psalms.

After I had been home (literally at my mother's)about a year, I laid down one night on a mattress on the floor which I shared with Carlisle, who was 2 at the time. I closed my eyes and said, "God I am so tired." I, then, saw in my mind images of Christ carrying the cross, up a hill, all alone. No one stood with Him, no one to carry the load for Him. Even his own Father, God of all Creation, was about to turn His head. I said, Lord, You are right. Christ had to carry the literal weight of the entire world on His shoulders. All I have to carry is my own. Then, in that still, small voice, He replied, "And you don't even have to carry that." I drifted off to sleep...

Psalm 61:2 "From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Pleaser

Hello, my name is Brittni and I am a people pleaser.  They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Today, I realized this has been a huge stumbling block for me.  Many of the situations I have found myself in can be attributed to doing something I didn't really want to do because I thought someone else wanted me to or better yet, needed me to do.  I have compromised my own beliefs, taken responsibility for things that were not my fault, even made untrue assessments about myself all for the pleasing of someone else.  I called it being agreeable, keeping the peace.  Only, I didn't have peace.  How dumb is that? Joyce Meyer writes, "IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING…Motives… Why are we doing (or not doing) something? Are we being motivated by fear, personal gain or a sense of obligation? Are we being motivated by a desire to be in control, accepted or seen?  These are all the wrong reasons for doing something. Our motive for...

The Refiner's Fire

The past couple of months have been difficult. Nothing earth-shattering has happened, no tragedies. I have been looking in the mirror of my soul. I have seen some ugly things. These "things" always come up when I pray earnestly for a clean heart. I'm referring to heart matters such as envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, pride, idolatry, even. It's the ugliness I see when I say, "Father, that I might melt into you!" You see in order to become one with Christ, He has to clean us up. He has to bring those unsightly things to the surface that we try to bury inside (all the while praying no one else sees them) in order for us to deal with them. This is The Refiner's Fire. The fire that burns out the dross to bring forth gold. That same fire referenced in Malachi 3:2 which states, "...He will be like a refiner's fire or the launderer's soap." John the Baptist foretells of Jesus' coming with "His winnowing fan...

Can I Say I Love You?

Photo by Jude Beck The most over-used, tired phrase in the history of the human species is "I love you." Now, some may argue the opposite; people do not truly know how much they are loved. I believe people do not trust those three words because the words no longer carry the weight they were intended to from the very beginning of creation. The banal words are often used to manipulate, control, seduce, entice, deceive, replace an apology, or even to fill an awkward silence or uncomfortable moment. We paste on a fake smile and spew falsities while wielding a sword of betrayal for our own hidden agendas.  We say, "I love you," to appear to be the better person rising above the situation all the while conspiring a subtle, yet cruel retaliation. This morning, I decided to go straight to the love chapter in the book that guides us through the whys and the hows of this life--God's love letter to us--to examine my own heart. Can I honestly say, "I love you?" ...